Who: Middle School Students
What: Coding Competition for SVVSD Middle School Students
When: May 22nd from 10 am - 3 pm (we have an extra 1/2 hr built in just in case)
Where: At the Innovation Center
Why: Because it is fun and you will get prizes and food.
10:00 - 10:30 Registration
10:30 - 12:00 Competition
12:00 - 12:30 Snack
12:30 - 1:30 Competition
1:30 - 2:00 Guest Speaker
2:00 - 2:30 Awards
- Each team can have 2-3 people, and there will be a maximum of 20 teams due to Coronavirus concerns.
- 15 Level 1 questions
- 10 Level 2 questions
- 3-4 Level 3 questions
- The harder the problem/level, the higher the point value.
- The team that gets the most correct wins!
- We will have raffle prizes as well!
We are planning on being in person at the Innovation Center for the event. Given the unpredictable nature of COVID, it is possible we will move this event online. If in person, students will stay in an assigned area with their teammates throughout the competition. Their coach (or other adult) will be in that assigned room with them.
- Students must be in grades 6-8.
- Students on a team must all be from the same middle school.
- The team sponsor must be a representative from the school, preferably a teacher.
- The maximum number teams in total will be 20 due to COVID and social distancing. We don’t currently have a maximum number of teams for each school, but if we have more than 20 teams apply, we will cap the number of teams per school accordingly to promote equity.
- It is recommended that each team has their own laptop to compete. However, we will provide a laptop if needed. We will be using Python 3.
- Students will be allowed to access the internet, but will be expected to create their own code.
- Teams will have two or three students.
- There will be approximately 30 problems to solve over the course of the competition.
- Each problem carries a point value. Values increase as problems get more difficult.
- The goal is to collect as many points as possible within the stipulated time. At the end of the event, the team with more points is the winner!